Your access to the energy network
Connection project steps
GRTgaz provides the biomethane map so that you can locate your project on the natural gas transmission network.
Connection to the natural gas transmission network means providing connection facilities enabling you to inject biomethane into the network. The connection facilities comprise one or more branch connections and one or more injection points.
As part of the right to injection, for all new biomethane connection study requests, network operators carry out (or update) the studies for the zone in which your project is located. First, this study allows us to determine which network operator (transmission or distribution) will support your project. Second, it allows the Energy Regulation Commission (CRE) to approve the connection and injection conditions linked to your project.
This step begins from the date of signature of the feasibility studies agreement.
Two types of projects are defined for a new connection: so-called 'base-case' projects and 'other cases' projects that deal with specific requirements.
GRTgaz carries out preliminary studies based on your preliminary statement of needs and delivers a report on the connection.
The study is non-binding and carried out free of charge. It gives you access to budget costs and a provisional schedule for your connection project.
This step is optional.
Connection studies consist of feasibility studies and basic studies. When these are complete, GRTgaz sends you a connection proposal.
In some circumstances, this stage may be carried out as a single phase.
Management of injection capacities
Capacities to inject biomethane from a facility connection to the network may be limited, particularly in summer, when natural gas consumption is lower.To manage reservations for injection capacity, the Biomethane Injection Working Group - a joint industry working group chaired by ADEME and GRDF - decided to create a capacity management register.
The capacity register works on a "first come, first served" basis.
Your project enters the capacity management register after receipt of the signed feasibility study agreement.
The connection and injection contract is for 15 years from the commissioning of the connection facilities:
- the construction phase for connection facilities and the start-up phase for installations,
- relationships between you and GRTgaz during the lifespan of the connection facilities: operation and maintenance of the facilities, injection conditions (injection pressure, maximum hourly flow rate, etc.).
- General Terms & Conditions, applicable to all connection and injection contracts,
- Special Terms & Conditions setting out specific features of your contract, such as the specifications of the branch connection and injection point, the date for introducing gas into the facilities, conditions for injecting biomethane into the natural gas transmission network, as well as the price of the associated services.
You will be offered a start-up agreement in addition to the connection and injection contract.This agreement will clarify each party's roles and responsibilities during this phase, particularly regarding exchanges of information about biomethane injection conditions during the start-up phase for the connection installations.
GRTgaz constructs the Connection Facilities and introduces the gas supply, after first obtaining construction and operating permits. The connection facilities comprise one branch connection and one injection point.
In application of Articles L.111-19 and L.111-48 of the French Energy Code, GRTgaz is the owner of the connection facilities.
The decree of 10 January 2019 regarding responsibility for connection costs for connecting production facilities to the natural gas transmission network, in application of Article L.452-1 of the French Energy Code, introduces a 40% reduction in the price of connection works for biomethane injection projects connecting to the transmission network, up to €400,000.
The branch connection comprises two parts:
- The upstream branch connection provides the link between upstream of the injection point’s inlet valve and the injection point;
- The downstream branch connection provides the link between the injection point and the natural gas transmission network.
A fixed pricing structure is applied to the 'base case' for construction of the branch connection. For "other cases", prices are set by quotation.
The Injection Point provides the following functions:
- Energy metering for injected biomethane,
- Measuring the physico-chemical characteristics of the biomethane; checking compliance with GRTgaz technical requirements,
- Operating safety.
Pricing for the construction of the injection point includes:
- Fitting and in situ assembly of the injection point,
- Fitting equipment to check the quality of the biomethane (chromatographs), remote-reading transactional metering equipment.
- A fixed pricing structure is applied to the "base case" for construction of the injection point. For "other cases", prices are set by quotation.
The so-called “Routing utility service” consists of connecting the delivery point to the electrical grid and the public telephone network via a dedicated line.
The price is set by quotation.
Pricing for civil engineering works (building permits, land preparation, etc.) is set by quotation.